Dealer Fees/Pricing?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

eyeheartny

eyeheartny

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
What kind of dealer fees have you guys been able to get waived when buying the 300? I visited a dealer more for an exploratory visit (wasn't yet ready to sit down and make a deal), and he quoted me some pretty outrageous fees. On the base model Ninja 300, they wanted MSRP of $4799 + tax, title, license fee (no problem paying those) plus setup and freight fees. Came to $6300 out the door.

Have any of you been successful getting dealers to waive those freight/setup fees? I am happy to pay MSRP with no haggling and to also pay tax/title/license, but those other fees seem ridiculous. The California DMV site indicates that the total fees and registration for a 2013 motorcycle amount to $484, which would bring the total to $5283.

I'd appreciate any advice. Am I being unrealistic to think they would waive those fees on a hot bike that is selling like crazy in the area?

Thanks!

old3

old3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • LocationNJ
I got mine for $4749 + tags and tax. $5306 OTD.

Basically everything over $4749 went to NJ to redistribute.

I also have used the same family owned dealership for 99% of my new bike purchases for the last 15 years and that is well over 30 bikes. Mega mall bike dealerships are all some can find. I like a place where they know my name and keep common parts on the shelf. In a pinch I have gone into the much closer mall style big 4 dealership for a part and they tell me they can order it. Yeah, I can order an airfilter too! I make the longer drive and they stock stuff a bike dealer should. Filters, plugs, jets, sprockets and brakes. More too but you get the idea. It is the difference between passionate enthusiasts with a bike business and a $$$ only business.

Find a good dealer and support them!

eyeheartny

eyeheartny

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

View Postold3, on 28 October 2012 - 07:37 PM, said:

I got mine for $4749 + tags and tax. $5306 OTD.

Thanks for this, and for the advice as well. I'd love any additional reports on fees/pricing, especially in southern California!

Rekognize

Rekognize

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada
My dealer waived all of the dealer fees. So it's just MSRP+Tax+Licensing.

$6600 otr for a black ABS (13% tax in Ontario).

Woomba

Woomba

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 260 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario, Canada
Yea, I got the same deal at the same dealership through Rekognize.  I shopped around at some of the larger dealerships, including the  "BIGGEST KAWASAKI DEALER IN CANADA" and they were set to charge much more, while emphasizing that the bike was hot and I wouldn't be able to cut a better deal elsewhere.  Turns out, if you aim towards slightly more remote areas, they will be happy to cut a deal.  Just means I gotta drive an hour up north to get it haha.
Gear up for every ride, regardless of duration.  Zombies are cool, but I wouldn't want to look like one full time

Rekognize

Rekognize

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

View PostWoomba, on 28 October 2012 - 09:34 PM, said:

Yea, I got the same deal at the same dealership through Rekognize.  I shopped around at some of the larger dealerships, including the  "BIGGEST KAWASAKI DEALER IN CANADA" and they were set to charge much more, while emphasizing that the bike was hot and I wouldn't be able to cut a better deal elsewhere.

Hah yeah, what a joke. A gentleman from a local forum made a mistake of placing a deposit there and asked if he could use my bill of sale to convince his dealer to waive some of the fees. Get this, they want $6900 otr for a non-ABS model. :lol:

Woomba

Woomba

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 260 posts
It's truly amazing how a dealership can push sales volume awards to convince customers they are getting a deal.  The award should really say "Look at all the suckers we've sold to.  You could be one too!".  I'll admit, it's a nice facility (former Ferrari dealership) and the mechanic seemed to know his stuff, but their sales numbers reflect their location more than the staff and pricing IMO.
Gear up for every ride, regardless of duration.  Zombies are cool, but I wouldn't want to look like one full time

Rekognize

Rekognize

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
I don't mind the 1hour drive north. I'm planning on riding the bike home so by the time I get back to Toronto, 1st phase of the break in period is done haha

Crunchie

Crunchie

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 242 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, South Australia
I traded in a brand new GSX 650F LAMS with $2500 drop damage + $500 for my brand new baby black 300. Totally worth it.

Lessoned learnt though; don't trust Suzuki dealers. :P

"Never ride faster then your Guardian Angel." Posted Image Posted Image

Founder of the:
  Posted Image
Oreo Stylin' Posted Image

eyeheartny

eyeheartny

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks for this. Giving me confidence that I can get them to drop those ridiculous fees. Annnnnd that means I can get my bike this month! :)

Woomba

Woomba

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 260 posts
Good luck :)

eyeheartny

eyeheartny

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
So I looked at the dealer price list posted for Australia to do some calculating. Looks like there's a 13.6% dealer margin markup on the bike, plus tax, at least for Australia. Assuming that in the US the same numbers hold, that means the dealer pays approximately $4160 for the Ninja 300, non-ABS. The Australia list does not indicate any charges for shipping in the price, and the price list is fairly thorough in breaking down pricing issues and dealer margin as well as tax.

Do you think it's fair to assume that since the MSRP already includes a 13.6% markup that the additional fees dealers are charging are just pure profit, and therefore that true hardball negotiating should be able to get them to waive those fees? I am happy to offer them invoice + tax/title/license + $500 profit, which seems entirely reasonable and would put the OTD price at $5144. Call it $5200 OTD.

What do you think? Will you use the Australian pricing to help negotiate if you're still haggling?

Rekognize

Rekognize

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

View Posteyeheartny, on 30 October 2012 - 02:13 PM, said:

Do you think it's fair to assume that since the MSRP already includes a 13.6% markup

MSRP should include markup. My dealer agreed to MSRP+tax when he quoted me a price for my bike. I am 100% sure he's not selling it to me at a loss :lol:

All the extra dealer fees are purely for profit.

eyeheartny

eyeheartny

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

View PostRekognize, on 30 October 2012 - 02:20 PM, said:

MSRP should include markup. My dealer agreed to MSRP+tax when he quoted me a price for my bike. I am 100% sure he's not selling it to me at a loss :lol:

All the extra dealer fees are purely for profit.

I've been getting zero results talking to dealers over the phone. They all say the fees are non-negotiable but to come in to the dealership. My time is extremely limited, and my girlfriend isn't too stoked on me taking a ton of time on unsuccessful dealer visits. Am I going to have to go in to make this happen, do you think?

S1att3r

S1att3r

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationNorth East Texas
Invoice said $5,706 OTD.  I talked them down to $5,500.

mawren

mawren

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I bought mine in SoCal and I know all about this dealer markup. There is no such thing as crate and assembly anymore. You can negotiate many of the fees away but it will be difficult to get all of them taken away. I still overpaid at 6200 OTD but I was impatient. I would say try to just do msrp+tax and if they say no walk away. Come back the next week if they haven't called you back and try to sweeten the deal with gear. It just sucks that demand is really high here and dealerships don't care about losing one potential customer.

eyeheartny

eyeheartny

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

View Postmawren, on 30 October 2012 - 09:50 PM, said:

I bought mine in SoCal and I know all about this dealer markup. There is no such thing as crate and assembly anymore. You can negotiate many of the fees away but it will be difficult to get all of them taken away. I still overpaid at 6200 OTD but I was impatient. I would say try to just do msrp+tax and if they say no walk away. Come back the next week if they haven't called you back and try to sweeten the deal with gear. It just sucks that demand is really high here and dealerships don't care about losing one potential customer.

Thanks for the info. I'm pretty adamant about not paying the fees, considering there are so many reports of people paying only MSRP + tax.

Woomba

Woomba

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 260 posts
Yea, I've heard of people getting MSRP + Tax in the USA as well, albeit with dealers they had an established relationship with.  The crappy part is you'll likely have to avoid the high volume dealers to have room for negotiation.  One less customer isn't that big a deal for some of the bigger guys.  However, you can walk into a big dealership and try the classic intro of: "Hello, i'm interested in this specific model.  I have been shopping all over already and already have a price that is agreeable to me.  However, your dealership is close to me, so I left you last on my list of visits.  Give me the best offer you can, and if you can come close to the price I was quoted elsewhere, we can talk".

I do this talk when negotiating car prices and it works.  If they don't hit the price, you just tell them they need to do better than that.  If they ask how much, give them a slightly inflated number to beat.  They will often counter with a slightly lesser offer.  If it comes close to what you want, you can come right out and ask them to match the price by saying you'll do no more than the amount you have in your mind.  If they beat it, then you are laughing, and seal the deal.

eyeheartny

eyeheartny

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

View PostWoomba, on 31 October 2012 - 07:28 AM, said:

Yea, I've heard of people getting MSRP + Tax in the USA as well, albeit with dealers they had an established relationship with.  The crappy part is you'll likely have to avoid the high volume dealers to have room for negotiation.  One less customer isn't that big a deal for some of the bigger guys.  However, you can walk into a big dealership and try the classic intro of: "Hello, i'm interested in this specific model.  I have been shopping all over already and already have a price that is agreeable to me.  However, your dealership is close to me, so I left you last on my list of visits.  Give me the best offer you can, and if you can come close to the price I was quoted elsewhere, we can talk".

I do this talk when negotiating car prices and it works.  If they don't hit the price, you just tell them they need to do better than that.  If they ask how much, give them a slightly inflated number to beat.  They will often counter with a slightly lesser offer.  If it comes close to what you want, you can come right out and ask them to match the price by saying you'll do no more than the amount you have in your mind.  If they beat it, then you are laughing, and seal the deal.

There's another approach that the Australian price list makes possible...we can figure out from the dealer margin listed what the actual price paid in the US by dealers is. In Australia the margin is 13.6% over the invoice price. Assuming the margins are the same worldwide, that puts a hypothetical dealer cost in the US at $4146. Adding in tax, title, and license in CA ($484) puts us at $4630. Adding $395 for shipping puts us at $5025. If we add $250-300 for dealer profit, we should still be able to walk out for approx. $5300 and still account for freight and a fair profit for the salesperson.

We'll see if it works. I'm still a few weeks away from buying, but I'm hopeful that the hoopla will be a bit smaller and a dealer will want to move a bike in the days before Thanksgiving.

Gammagirl

Gammagirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationSt. Catharines, Ontario
Rekognize....I am located in St. Catharines....and I am about to buy a Metallic Grey ABS 300.  Can you please PM me your dealership?

Thanks!

Jennifer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Search tags for this page

2013 kawasaki ninja 300 out the door price
2013 ninja 300 otd price
kawasaki 300 invoice price3
kawasaki ninja 300 invoice

kawasaki ninja 300 invoice price

kawasaki ninja 300 otd price

ninja 300 invoice